Monday, May 3, 2010

May Denver Made Interview: DJ Sessions featuring DJ Shannon von Kelly




May's Denver Made takes us back to the DJ Sessions where you can enjoy late night shopping, beverages and most of all some of the best DJs Denver has to offer. This month we are excited to have DJ Shannon von Kelly and he was kind enough to take the time to answer a few questions for us about his musical taste and how he got his start...



ft: How did you get your start DJing?


svk: I was always into music, even as a little kid.  I played the Muppet Movie soundtrack and Beach Boys Endless Summer back to back and over and over.  I was an avid collector of music in high school - mostly death rock and industrial - and enjoyed going to some of the Denver area's "classic" clubs - Rock Island, Ground Zero, and even Club L.A. in Westy (Westminister).  



Starting about this time, I had this kind of fantasy of becoming a DJ, being the guy up in the booth, selecting and mixing tracks, making the kids on the dancefloor shake.  In college, I got involved with KUCB, the CU Boulder radio station, which later became Radio 1190.  I dug through KUCB/1190's musical archives and I hungrily listened to everything new that came in.  My tastes expanded over the next five years and I experimented with beat-matching.  

After graduating CU, I began spinning with friends wherever I could - clubs, restaurants, bars - and started my own night in 2000 with James Sharp, a.k.a. DJ Quid, at a former lesbian bar named Zu - now Three Kings Tavern - called Shaggy Robot, effectively Denver's first electroclash night.  The rest has been - how do you say? - unscripted, unwritten, unrecorded history...



ft: How would you define your style?

svk: I DJ a variety of musics, using a variety of mixing styles. Historically, there's been this conflict between "selectors," DJs who pick great tracks, but don't necessarily mix songs together, and "mixers" where the seamless bridge between tracks is god.  Digital DJing has really broken down these barriers, but since I only spin on vinyl, I'd say I use both styles, any and all styles.  I grab choice electro-pop-cosmic-italo-disco-synth-hop-new romantic-coldwavestep, what-have-you tracks, mix it together into something new, thoughtful and irresistible.  It's really kind of Shannon von Kelly style, if I may be so bold...



ft: What is your favorite era for music?

svk: Wow, there's so much good music coming out now...  Maybe not classics in the making, but there's constantly a ripe gem coming down the pipeline.



ft: If you had to say, who is your all time favorite band?


svk: Joy Divison



ft: What was the last concert you went to?


svk: Fever Ray in San Francisco.



ft: What is the last album you purchased?


svk: Vinyl Life's self-titled album, and a space-synth cosmic disco compilation entitled Synth Planet, both highly recommended.





Come join us Friday May 7th from 7pm-10pm and listen to DJ Shannon von Kelly spin a unique blend of beats while enjoying beverages from Great Divide Brewery and make sure to check out all the new fashions in stock now. 


We will also be recording this live session so make sure to check back for more info on how to get your hands on the download. Also make sure to keep an eye out for DJ Shannon von Kelly's new dance night soon to take over the Denver scene, Neon Knights...more information to follow. See you there!

xoxo

fancy tiger clothing

No comments: