Monday, May 16, 2011

Nicole's Threads Designer Trunk Show

It's not often we get to introduce you all to our out-of-state designers in person, that's why we are excited to announce that Nicole Carey of Nicole's Threads will be in store with us this coming Friday May 20th from 5pm-8pm to show off some of her new designs. Nicole recently took the time to answer a few questions for us in preparation for her trunk show this Friday. 



FT: How did you get your start?

NC: I got my start in sewing after high school. It was before the days of Etsy and there were a handful of DIY fashion designers emerging on ebay. I was hooked on the idea of making my own clothing.  After a lot of armholes in the wrong places, I began selling at a few boutiques. After juggling my clothing line, a waitressing job and cashiering at a health food store, it's finally my full-time job and I love every second of it! I get to create and hang out with my funny dogs every day.


FT: Where do you find your best inspiration for your work?

NC: I'm very inspired by color and the fabrics that I use, as well as the changing seasons. Comfort and function are words that I create by. By springtime, I am SO ready to be using vintage florals and lightweight jersey and in fall I love plaid flannels. There is a local woolen mill right down the road from where I live that still produces beautiful wool fabric and I will be using that for my fall/winter line. One thing about designing clothing is that you are often designing for the winter during spring and vice versa.  In February when I begin thinking about creating spring and summer items, it's hard to remember that heat waves DO actually happen in northern Vermont.


FT: What music do you listen to when you work on your product?

NC: I love switching it up but recently I've been listening to lot of Bo Diddley, Stevie Wonder and Delta Blues. I also am an NPR addict. 


FT: What would you like people to know about your work/process that isn’t evident when looking at it?

NC: A lot of people think that I reconstruct shirts or just add things to vintage shirts that I find from thrift stores, but that's definitely not my process. While I love thrifting and using vintage fabric, all of my designs are constructed in a very organic, start-from-scratch fashion. I do have very simple patterns that I have created but am always tweaking them to create the best look for the fabrics that I have to work with. 

Also, all of my items are very limited or one of a kind.  I only buy fabric from factory run off, vintage or organic cottons. I find that this is a fun way to create unique pieces and reduce the carbon footprint that I leave. It takes so much energy to create new materials when there are plenty already waiting around to be used.

Make sure to stop by Friday May 20th from 5pm-8pm to meet Nicole and check out her designs in person while enjoying libations. 

xoxo

Fancy Tiger Clothing

No comments: