Monday, February 28, 2011

March Denver Made Interview: James Cromwell Holden



We here at Fancy Tiger Clothing couldn't be more excited to be a participant in the Month of Photography Denver, a celebration of fine art photography through over 80 collaborative public events throughout Denver and the region through the month of March 2011. Our focus for this month's Denver Made event is on local photographer James Cromwell Holden. Recently James took the time to answer a few questions about his work in preparation for his first Friday opening reception here at Fancy Tiger Clothing. 

FT: How did you get your start with photography? 

JCH: I started collecting vintage cameras early on. Bought my first camera in Miami at the flea market with my Cuban grandparents.  Fell in love with polaroid and lomo toy cams as well. Then became seduced by German glass... 

FT: Where do you find your best inspiration for your work? 

JCH: It probably started with my fascination for vintage culture and the stories they tell. Be it through a Fellini film or an art deco signet ring. Simple objects tell stories, I like to recreate them, not as something regressive, but more sentimental. I'm nostalgic for the future.

FT: What music do you listen to when you work? 

JCH: It's all over the place. Since I've started djing more frequently now I'm normally listening to my sets that I'm dialing in for a party. It's a celebration to finally receive a record ordered from half way across the globe, put it on and see what type of energy it brings. It translates well through film if something is vibing out. 

FT: What would you like people to know about your work/process that isn’t evident when looking at it? 

JCH: Hmmm, probably that my shoots can feel more like a Woody Allen film than some sort of high end fashion bs. 

Join us Friday March 4th from 7pm-11pm at Fancy Tiger Clothing, 18 South Broadway for the opening reception of James' exhibit on view through the month of March. Enjoy a beer from Great Divide Brewery and toast to the artist. 

See you Friday!

xoxo

Fancy Tiger Clothing

No comments: